Lenny was a hairless dumbo.

See Frasier's page for the story of how Lenny and his brothers came to be with me.
On arrival, Lenny was recognisable as the smallest of the three, and he also has a long white scar along his lower back. Initially, all 3 were nervous and not very adventurous, but Lenny was the most outgoing.
Lenny ended up being the longest lived of the three, the other two dying far too young. He went through a lot in his life.

He developed a growth on his back, identical to the one Carl had on his upper arm. I had this removed and sent for histopathology. The vet said that it was a positive result, and that it should not re-occur, and that if all the lump is removed it will not have spread either, and the reports stated that all of it was removed. The lump itself was smaller than a grape, but the incision was about 2 inches long, and stretched right down his back! Fortunately, Lenny healed up without any issues whatsoever.

Unfortunately, shortly after this, both he and one of my other hairless, Giblet both suffered tail injuries, within a day of one another. It has never been clear how they obtained these, but its always seemed odd that they both happened at the same time, and both injuries were on hairless boys. The injuries were similar to degloving injuries, but not quite. It was as if they had gotten the ends of their tails caught in something, then stripped the skin off in areas along it.

I left the tails for a day or so, keeping them clean and hoping they would heal on their own, but they did not. Lenny's in particular became infected, and the infection tracked down the length of his tail, long past the initial injury site, at an alarming rate. The vet said the only option was to remove the ends of their tails.
This op was done, and while Giblet's tail healed up fine without any problems, Lenny's once again became infected and began to spread down what was left of his tail. The vet said it was unlike anything she'd seen, and could be some kind of gangrene.
Once again, Lenny went under the knife and had even more of his tail removed, so he had only a tiny stump left.
Fortunately, this seemed to stop the infection, and it did not start up again. However, the wound did not heal as it should and began to get very thickened and spongy at the end. After a long time, it eventually healed completely.

Lenny went through 3 fairly large ops within a month, all at the age of 2. I think this shows how strong he was. As he aged, his hind legs became weak, possibly not helped by losing his tail, which affected his gait a bit. As a result, he began to have issues climbing around the cage, which meant he was often confined to the bottom levels, while the other rats would all cuddle up at the top.
In the end, I decided to remove him from the group and keep him upstairs with me in a smaller hospital cage. He had little to do with the other rats anyway in his later years, and would have trouble keeping warm without others to cuddle up to.

Lenny lived in my room for a good few months, and seemed to enjoy it a lot. He had some issues with dry eyes later on, and as time went on, he found it hard to keep weight on.
He died one day at home, seemingly in his sleep.
He was over 3 years old, making him the oldest rat I've ever owned. So much for the idea that hairless rats are short lived!

Why Lenny? My friend Mick named both Lenny and Carl after Simpsons characters.

Click me!